Horace Mann School for the Deaf (1869-Present)
Established in 1869, the Horace Mann School for the Deaf was one of the first public day schools for the deaf in the United States. With support from the city of Boston and the state of Massachusetts, and the dedication of its faculty and school administrators, the school has continuously sought to provide a quality education to deaf students. The school continues to operate to this day in its Allston location. This exhibit looks at the history of the school through a selection of materials recently donated to the City of Boston Archives. The collection includes numerous photographs, school brochures, internal school records such as student registers, correspondence, and published works from the school's library.
The collection's photographs have been digitized and can be viewed on the City of Boston's Flickr site: https://www.flickr.com/photos/cityofbostonarchives/